You just found out that your colleague is leaving the company. The sadness is creeping in, and you don’t know how to say goodbye in a way that reflects how much they’ve meant to you and your team. Farewells are not easy, whether you are the one leaving or the one being left behind. Whenever someone leaves, it is difficult to find the perfect words to leave them with to make their transition as easy as possible.
You feel like your heart’s breaking all over again, which makes it hard to think of anything else but the person you’re going to miss so much. What do you say when someone leaves the company? You are not alone in feeling this way. It’s always a tough goodbye when someone is leaving the company. No matter how much time has passed, it’s hard to see someone go when they’ve been a part of your work family for so long.
Let’s face it. Like it or not, it happens to all of us at some point in our lives, whether it’s in a job, a relationship, or a family. We have a colleague or friend that isn’t part of our regular circle anymore, and we’re trying to figure out what to say—and do—to them when they move on to greener pastures. Colleagues leaving the company is quite a normal phenomenon. When a colleague, superior, or boss leaves the company, it’s natural to want to say something. A farewell is an opportunity to take stock of the past, thank the person for their contributions, and wish them well in their future endeavors. This is a moment for celebration, a time of looking back on what was achieved together and on what might be yet achieved. It provides closure for you and for them. But what should you say?
Farewell messages to colleagues leaving the company can be tricky. You want to say something, but not overstep your boundaries. You want to be sensitive and caring, but not smothering. Some people think it’s hard to strike the right tone when somebody leaves a company. It doesn’t have to be. You can say something sincere or funny, or even ironic. The choice is really yours and you should feel free to pick whichever one you feel most comfortable with. Use these sample messages below as inspiration for your own farewell message!
The following is a compilation of some of the best farewell messages that can be given to colleagues when they are leaving the company. All these messages show gratitude and appreciation for what he or she has done during their time at work. These are perfect for coworkers who are leaving on good terms, or if they will be missed by most people at the workplace. Some farewell messages might touch on guilt at leaving others behind. Others might simply offer words of comfort. They may give advice or encouragement, or simply send prayers. Whatever they do, these farewell messages are earnest and heartfelt expressions of gratitude and good wishes for the future. Just pick one of these short farewell messages and you can send it to your colleague.
Give your departing colleague a short goodbye message that will be memorable and impactful! Get creative and start compiling some farewell messages that will keep their memories alive in their absence. Check out these examples of farewell messages that will help you find the words when you need them most. This list of farewell messages to colleagues includes quotes, wishes, and ideas for phrases that will be helpful in letting go. You can simply copy and paste these farewell messages or use them to spruce up your own sentence or paragraph. Here are some best farewell messages to colleagues leaving the company:
217 Best Short Farewell Messages to Colleague Who Is Leaving the Company
1. I’m going to miss your smiling face.
2. Thank you for being such a good colleague.
3. All the best, my friend.
4. Thank you for being part of our team.
5. You made this place better with your presence.
6. It was an honor working with you, thank you for all your help and support.
7. Dear friend, we’ll miss you.
8. Thank you for being a part of our team.
9. There’s no one who can replace your place.
10. You’re the first person I want to call in an emergency.
11. It’s always been a pleasure working with you.
12. You will always be one of the best we have ever had.
13. I’m sorry that you are leaving but I won’t forget you!
14. Thank you for being so wonderful.
15. It’s been a blessing having you as my colleague and friend, and I’ll never forget everything that we’ve accomplished together!
16. Always got your back, buddy!
17. I’m going to miss working with you; thanks for all the funny jokes and your contagious optimism!
18. You’re a smart, capable, and kind person.
19. I’m going to miss you.
20. It was great having you on my team.
21. I’ll never forget all the laughs we had together.
22. You’re a wonderful person inside and out. I’m really going to miss you.
23. We’re going to miss you and your contributions!
24. It was a pleasure working with you.
25. The future is bright! Have faith in yourself and you will succeed.
26. I’m grateful for all that we’ve done together.
27. Best of luck!
28. You’re an awesome person and will be missed.
29. I wish you the best in your next endeavor.
30. Thank you for all of the laughs over the years.
31. The world needs more people like you.
32. A new journey awaits you, good luck!
33. You’re the best person I know, and you’ll be missed dearly.
34. I hope you’ll find happiness in everything that you do.
35. Keep in touch, save me a seat at your new desk!
36. You’ll always be welcome back at the office.
37. We’re proud of all that you’ve done for this company and we wish you well!
38. I am proud of you for all your accomplishments in the company
39. I wish you success and happiness in your next steps!
40. I hope you will stay connected to us and visit us from time to time!
41. Thank you for working with us, we will always remember you with kindness!
42. Thank you for your hard work and contribution to our business.
43. We will miss you.
44. You are a valued team member.
45. We all wish you the best in your future endeavors.
46. I’m so proud of you for everything that you have achieved.
47. You were such an integral part of this place that it won’t be the same without you!
48. We’ll miss you and your lunches.
49. I’ll miss our late-night chats.
50. You have grown so much in the time that I’ve known you.
51. We will miss you, here’s a parting gift! (image)
52. I hope you find a place that doesn’t make you want to flee in terror.
53. Good luck with your new assignment! I’m sure we’ll cross paths again in our career paths. (image)
54. It’s been great having you around.
55. Thank you for all the wisdom and great memories over the years.
56. You are a wonderful person and I am honored that I got to work with you
57. Thank you for being an amazing colleague. It was an honor working with you.
58. Thank you for all the hard work that you did to make our workplace a better place.
59. It has been a pleasure working with you. You are a valued asset to this company.
60. It’s been an absolute delight getting to know you and I will miss your bright smile!
61. Best of luck in your new endeavor!
62. I have enjoyed working with, learning from, and laughing with you!
63. I am so proud of all that you’ve accomplished in your time here.
64. You have been an inspiration to me.
65. Your work ethic is unmatched.
66. I’m going to miss seeing you every day.
67. We’ll still be connected.
68. It was so nice knowing you.
69. We had a great time together.
70. Thankful for all the fun times we shared together.
71. I wish you luck in whatever you pursue next!
72. To my colleague, I will miss you.
73. You have been such a great friend.
74. Thank you for your help and support, I really appreciate it!
75. It has been an honor working with you.
76. I hope to see you again one day.
77. You’re leaving a great legacy for the company.
78. Our office won’t be the same without you and your bright smile.
79. Thanks for all your hard work, it really shows.
80. I think we’ll miss you as much as you’re going to miss us.
81. Thank you for being such a great part of the team!
82. We’ll all miss you! You have been a great asset to our team.
83. Thank you for all you’ve done, and for teaching us so much along the way.
84. Make sure to visit every now and then. 🙂
85. Keep in touch!
86. We’re going to miss working together, but I’m glad that we get a chance to still work together remotely sometimes. 🙂
87. You may be leaving our company, but you will never leave our hearts.
88. I have had the privilege of working with you, and I will miss you every day.
89. You are a role model for everyone in this company.
90. We’re all going to miss your smiling face around here!
91. All good things must come to an end.
92. Best wishes for a bright and happy future for your colleague as they venture into new horizons.
93. Thank you for all the help over the years, here’s wishing you well in your future endeavors.
94. We’ll miss you dearly but these parting words will keep us connected in heart and mind.
95. First and foremost, congratulations on taking this step toward your future!
96. I’ve had so much fun working with you, I’ll miss you already!
97. I’ll remember all of our laughs and hard work!
98. Here’s to all the future adventures you’re headed toward!
99. It was such a pleasure meeting you and working with you – good luck in your new role!
100. Thank you for always bringing the best out of others.
101. You’re an inspiration and a true leader.
102. Thank you for your patience and guidance along the way.
103. Your presence will be missed, but your memory won’t be forgotten.
104. Best wishes on your next adventure, wherever it may be!
105. You’re a legend, and will always have a place in our memories.
106. I think I speak for all of us when I say that you don’t just work here, you’re one of us.
107. It’s not a goodbye, it’s a good luck.
108. You’re an innovator in your field and have had a lot of successes!
109. Take care of yourself and come back to me with some stories to share. 😉
110. I’ll miss our daily conversations but I’ll keep in touch as much as possible as well!
111. Thank you for all your help and support.
112. I will really miss you!
113. It was a pleasure to work with you.
114. I’ll always cherish our time together.
115. This is not the end of us, I hope we stay in touch.
116. Luck and happiness in your future endeavors.
117. You are the most caring, patient, and supportive individual I have ever met.
118. I will never forget the moments we shared together.
119. While I am sad to lose a colleague, I am happy for you and am grateful for your kindness.
120. You have been an inspiration and a mentor to me.
121. Thank you for being such an important part of this team.
122. This is your time to shine, and go out there and be the best at what you do.
123. I’ll miss you dearly, but know that this is just the beginning of your success story.
124. You’ve become a much better person than me! Thank you for the lessons learned from working with you these few years
125. I’m going to miss our talks and your company most of all – we will always be friends!
126. A pair of hands-time to get going! We’re so proud of you.
127. Your crazy humor will be missed-but, thank you for achieving a lot here.
128. The mornings would be dull without you – you were my rock! (good luck!)
129. I’ll never forget the many times we spent together laughing out loud. (so happy for you!)
130. Have the time of your life – it’s been a joy working with you!
131. Thank you for everything!
132. Be proud of what you’ve done here and know we’ll miss you around!
133. We’ll always remember the great times we had together at work!
134. A sincere thank you for all you have done.
135. You will be missed.
136. Know that you are appreciated and valued!
137. Thank you for all the laughs and fun times we’ve had together.
138. You will be an honorary friend from now on!
139. Thank you for all your help, input, and support over the years!
140. We’ll miss having your ‘extra’ eyes around to support us in our work!
141. Have a great trip! Wish you luck in your new job!
142. With pleasure we say goodbye.
143. You are an amazing colleague.
144. You were a great team player.
145. Thank you for your commitment and dedication to our company.
146. Thank you for your hard work during your time here.
147. Your help is much appreciated and will be missed.
148. It’s been a pleasure working with you for the last few years.
149. You’re a terrific person and we wish all the best for you in the future!
150. It’s been such a pleasure working with you, and I wish you all the best in your future endeavors.
151. I’m going to miss you! It’s been great knowing you and being your colleague.
152. I will remember you always as the colleague who always made me smile, no matter what.
153. If there is one thing that I’ll remember about having you as my colleague, it is the fun we had together!
154. Goodbye, colleague! You were one of the best things about this company.
155. Farewell, my friend – It’s been a pleasure working with you.
156. Thank you for all your efforts and contributions to our company.
157. We’ll miss you! The time has come for us to say goodbye.
158. A message of appreciation on behalf of your coworkers.
159. Goodbye, take care of yourself -from your friend.
160. I’m going to really miss seeing your face every day, but I know we’ll stay in touch and see each other soon!
161. It’s been a pleasure working side by side with you all these years. You will be sorely missed! Keep in touch! Bye for now. 😉
162. Thank you for all of your hard work and dedication.
163. You are a talented person; I know you’re going to succeed at your next job.
164. It’s been a pleasure working with you, I’m going to miss seeing you around the office.
165. I’ll always remember the laughs we shared together and our good times on team outings.
166. Please come back to visit us sometime in the future, we will always be here waiting for you.
167. Thank you again, from all of us at our office! We hope that this is not goodbye forever.
168. You are an amazing coworker. I will miss you.
169. Thank you for all your hard work and dedication!
170. I’m sorry to see you go, but I know that this is the right decision for you.
171. We’re gonna miss seeing your face around here!
172. Best of luck in your next chapter!
173. Your contributions have had a lasting impact on our team.
174. Your integrity and humor have enriched our work environment.
175. It has been an honor and pleasure working alongside someone as capable as yourself.
176. A time for goodbyes.
177. Good luck on your new journey.
178. Congratulations and best wishes for your future endeavors.
179. Sending you on your way with love and care.
180. May you find success and happiness in all of life’s adventures.
181. We will always remember you as a valued colleague.
182. You were so important to us so please know that we will never forget you! 🙂
183. I’m going to miss your dry humor and your keen sense of perspective.
184. You’re a great team player who will be missed.
185. Thank you for all your hard work – you’re an inspiration!
186. Your input was always so appreciated and invaluable.
187. I will miss your witty remarks and ideas.
188. You’re leaving? Too bad, we were just getting started!
189. Thanks for all the laughs, but now it’s time to say goodbye.
190. I won’t forget you!
191. Good Luck in the Future!
192. I will never forget your contribution to our company’s success.
193. We wish you the best in your new adventure!
194. You’re leaving? But what about our Friday afternoon beer tradition?
195. Thank you for being a good colleague and friend.
196. The time we spent together will never be forgotten.
197. I will miss your jokes and sarcasm.
198. Hope to see you again! 🙂
199. Cheers! We’ll Always be Friends!
200. Let’s Keep in Touch, okay? 🙂
201. It’s been a pleasure working with you. Take care of yourselves and your families.
202. Best of luck in your new endeavors!
203. I’ll miss you more than you know!
204. You are my BFF, please don’t forget me. 🙂
205. Hey dude, it’s not goodbye though…just see ya later. 😉
206. You’re leaving? *cries*
207. This is not goodbye, this is ‘see you later’.
208. I’ll miss your laugh and jokes the most.
209. You can always find me on your friends’ list on Facebook. 🙂
210. I’ll miss you, you’re my favorite coworker.
211. It’s been a pleasure knowing you. We’ll be friends on Facebook forever.
212. It was an honor working with you! Thank you for being such a great friend!
213. You’ve been an amazing person to work with, and we’ll miss your smiling face!
214. There’s always room for you in HR.
215. We’ll miss your presence here.
216. You were such an amazing team player and always put in 110%!
217. We’re going to miss your sense of humor.
How to Say Goodbye to a Colleague Who Is Leaving?
The professional relationships that we are in are often complex and difficult – especially when an individual leaves our company. The reasons why these relationships can be difficult are infinite, but the most common ones include difficulty in managing conflict, dealing with the loss of a colleague, and handling interpersonal communication. It’s important to have a strategy to minimize the negative consequences of losing a former team member.
Losing a team member is always difficult, but there are ways to make the transition easier for yourself and your company. It’s important to have a strategy in place before, during, and after a departure. A goodbye doesn’t have to be a bad thing. It can be a time for reflection and gratitude. Goodbyes are also necessary in order to avoid resentment, confusion, and hurt feelings in the workplace. If you want to avoid those things, you should always make sure to say goodbye properly and not just disappear without a word.
Here are some tips on how to make the process of saying goodbye go smoothly.
5 Tips to Say Goodbye to a Colleague Who is Leaving
1) Wish them well and be prepared for them to leave
When your colleague leaves the company, say a friendly goodbye and make sure you are leaving on good terms.
“I wish you well” is a good way to say goodbye. If you want to be extra friendly, write a note or leave them something small that can be used for their next project or future endeavors. A gift card to Starbucks or TJ Maxx is always appreciated!
2) Remember that they are still part of the team and will stay in contact
When it comes to the workplace, we all know that teamwork is essential. A typical work environment is filled with good, bad, and indifferent people. When someone leaves the company or a particular department, it can be difficult for everyone on the team to adjust.
When a colleague leaves, it is important to remember that they are still part of the team and we should reach out to them if we need anything. Keeping in contact with those who have left is important because they may continue to help the company in other ways and may even return.
3) Work extra hard on their projects before they go
When a co-worker leaves the company, it is tempting to believe that there’s no work left to be done. However, this is not true. If you are a boss, it is important to show your remaining employees that you are still committed. A great way to do this is by being productive during the day that your employee leaves.
The process of saying goodbye to someone who is leaving your company can be emotionally draining. It may be difficult for the departing employee, too. To avoid these pitfalls, employees should work extra hard on their projects before they go and leave them in good condition before they leave so that there are no unfinished tasks when they walk out the door.
4) Send an e-card or gift card to celebrate their achievements and successes
In the modern world, people say goodbye in a variety of ways. One common way to say goodbye is with an e-card, which can be easily sent through social media networks such as Facebook or Instagram. Another way to say goodbye is through gift cards for stores such as Target or Amazon because they are easy and inexpensive options.
Sending an e-card or gift card to a colleague who is leaving can be a heartfelt way to say goodbye in the digital age. These cards are usually a simple message, an image, and the recipient’s name. They are easy for the sender to customize with their own personal touch.
5) Consider hosting a farewell party for them if they are leaving the office or town
A farewell party is a great way to say goodbye to a colleague that is leaving. The party can be held in the reception area, break room, or coffee shop. This type of party can be informal and low-key or extravagant and includes food from the host’s favorite restaurant, drinks from their favorite bar, and music from their favorite band.
The key goal of a farewell party is to allow departing colleagues an opportunity to reflect on their time with you and thank each other for their help before they leave. This should be done in a relaxed, fun, and memorable way that allows the party-goers to reminisce on the good times they had with one another.
We all have been through this situation of having to say goodbye to someone who has left our company, usually because they are moving on or retiring. When a colleague leaves, it feels like a piece of your life has gone with them. They are no longer in the office, meeting you for lunch in the cafeteria or sharing stories over drinks after work. The only thing that remains is a memory and those memories can serve as reminders that they were here with you all along.
It can be difficult to say goodbye to someone who leaves the company, but remember that their departure is for a reason. It’s important to send a good farewell message in order to show them that you care and understand what they went through. The key is to make it thoughtful, sincere, and genuine. It’s also a good idea not only to say goodbye but also to thank them for their time at the company.
When writing your goodbye messages to colleagues at the end of their tenure with your company, you should keep in mind that they are usually quite sensitive and don’t want to hear anything negative about themselves or their work. The most important thing is to be kind and respectful when writing farewell messages to a colleague who is leaving. It’s always best to focus on the positive reasons for leaving and avoids mentioning negative events. So, it’s important to find balance and remember that, no matter where someone goes, they leave with memories and connections that they’ll carry with them for years to come.
- 100+ Best Goodbye Messages When Leaving the Company
- 100+ Best Sample Farewell Messages to Employees Leaving a Workplace
- 100+ Best Sample Farewell Messages to Coworkers’ Retirement
- 130+ Best Sample Farewell Messages to Boss Who Is Leaving the Company